As you may have guessed from the name of this expression, GlenDronach is going back in time with Traditionally Peated. More specifically, about 200 years back, to the year 1826 when the distillery was founded, and it was common practice in the Highlands to burn peat in the kiln towards the end of the barley malting. For the whisky, the distillery has kept its traditional sherried style, marrying liquid from a range of Pedro Ximénez, Oloroso sherry and Port casks, all bottled up at 48% ABV. ~ Master of Malt
The Highland whisky region in Aberdeenshire includes the area around the Glendronach distillery, a Scottish whiskey producer. The BenRiach Distillery Company Ltd. owned it. James Allardes (commonly referred to as Allardice) established the distillery in 1826 as the second distillery to submit an application for a permit to lawfully make whiskey under the Excise Act of 1823, which was passed three years earlier and permitted the distillation of whisky in Scotland. Other versions attribute the distillery's founding to a group of farmers and tradesmen, who could include Allardes. Around 1960, Teachers and Sons Ltd bought the Glendronach distillery and doubled its capacity from two to six stills. Allied Distillers Limited closed the distillery in 1996 and restarted it in 2002. The distillery was acquired by Chivas Brothers Ltd, a company that is a member of the Pernod Ricard group, in 2006, and was then sold to the BenRiach Distillery Company in 2008. Walter Scott, who bought it in 1881, and Charles Grant, the son of the distillery's founder, who bought it in 1920, are two other important owners.