We are delighted to release this single cask GlenDronach that has been bottled exclusively for us at The Whisky Shop. This one-off release has been aged for 26 years in a Pedro Ximénez puncheon - a large cask of around 500 litres, a similar size to a sherry butt but with a wider shape. This is a rich and bold sherry that has intense, sweet dried fruit, raisin and fig notes. This release is limited to 682 bottles at a strength of 54.9% abv. The nose opens with striking notes of plum, rich fruit cake and hints of mandarin moving into a decadent palate of maraschino cherry, figs, dark chocolate and a hint of maple syrup. There is further sweetness on the finish which intertwines with some delicate exotic spices. ~ Master of Malt
The Highland whisky region in Aberdeenshire includes the area around the Glendronach distillery, a Scottish whiskey producer. The BenRiach Distillery Company Ltd. owned it. James Allardes (commonly referred to as Allardice) established the distillery in 1826 as the second distillery to submit an application for a permit to lawfully make whiskey under the Excise Act of 1823, which was passed three years earlier and permitted the distillation of whisky in Scotland. Other versions attribute the distillery's founding to a group of farmers and tradesmen, who could include Allardes. Around 1960, Teachers and Sons Ltd bought the Glendronach distillery and doubled its capacity from two to six stills. Allied Distillers Limited closed the distillery in 1996 and restarted it in 2002. The distillery was acquired by Chivas Brothers Ltd, a company that is a member of the Pernod Ricard group, in 2006, and was then sold to the BenRiach Distillery Company in 2008. Walter Scott, who bought it in 1881, and Charles Grant, the son of the distillery's founder, who bought it in 1920, are two other important owners.