The Dragon Series, a grouping of five single malt whisky, has been released by the Bladnoch Scotch whisky distillery.
Drawing inspiration from the Dragon Curve, a fractional curve in mathematics, each Iteration in the series highlights a specific time in the whisky-making process.
“The Dragon Curve demonstrates the science versus nature of predictability, chaos, natural order, and beauty. The building of The Dragon Series whiskies brought this to life in the sample room. We have attempted to demonstrate the resultant beauty that occurs from the natural unpredictability inherent within our whisky making process, which we endeavour to control over the decades. These five expressions of the Dragon Series have evolved to capture the essence of each iteration of our process. The Dragon Series also gives us confidence and excitement upon which to build and bring to life more concepts with Bladnoch in the future” ~ Bladnoch’s master distiller, Dr. Nick Savage
The collection includes five iterations: The Field, The Spirit, The Casks, The Ageing and The Decision.
- The Field (Field to Distillery) is the first produced; it was bottled at 46.7% and aged in refilled bourbon barrels.
- The Spirit (Malt to Spirit), bottled at 48.3% ABV and aged in oak barrels, is the second edition.
- The Casks (Tree to Cask), the third version, is bottled at 49.9% ABV and mixes first-fill Spanish oak sherry barrels with first-fill American oak bourbon casks.
- The Ageing (New to Mature), the fourth version, was aged in red wine hogsheads and first-fill bourbon barrels before being bottled at 51.1% ABV.
- The Decision (Complexity to Simplicity), the fifth iteration - Bottled at 53.1% ABV and a combination of Spanish Canasta sherry barrels and Hungarian Tokaji wine casks
The Bladnoch website will provide The Dragon Series for sale, along with the company's tourist centre in Dumfries and Galloway and a network of distributors across the world. The cost is £550 for the complete collection or £110 per bottle.
About Bladnoch Distillery
Bladnoch Distillery is a whisky distillery located in the Lowlands region of Scotland. The distillery was founded in 1817 and is one of the oldest distilleries in Scotland. Bladnoch Distillery has a long and storied history, including a period of closure in the early 2000s. However, the distillery was acquired by Australian businessman David Prior in 2015 and underwent extensive renovations before reopening in 2017. Today, Bladnoch Distillery produces a range of single malt whiskies, including the classic Bladnoch 11 Year Old and the peaty Bladnoch Samsara. The distillery is known for its dedication to traditional production methods, including the use of wooden washbacks and copper pot stills. Bladnoch Distillery also offers tours and tastings, providing visitors with the opportunity to learn about the history and character of Lowland whisky.