A tremendous 2005 vintage single malt from Speyside's Knockandu Distillery. After distillation, this expression was allowed to mature for 15 years imparting a wealth of rich fruit and complex spice – an ideal evening sipper! ~ Master of Malt
Near the Strathspey whiskey-producing region of Scotland, in the town of Knockando, Moray, lies the Knockando Distillery, a single malt Scotch whisky distillery. John Tytler Thomson constructed the Knockando Distillery in 1898, giving it the village's name. From the Scottish Gaelic word Cnoc Cheannachd, which means 'Hill of Commerce,' comes the name. The bigger Knockando House and a few other smaller buildings make up the village, which is bordered by forests that are home to buzzards, red squirrels, and roe deer. The London-based gin manufacturer W & A Gilbey bought the distillery in 1904; in the 1960s and 1970s, it joined J&B/Grand Metropolitan; and now, it is controlled by global corporation Diageo. The first distillery in Scotland with electric illumination was Knockando. It was immediately connected to the Grantown-on-Spey and major north-east Scottish towns by the Great North of Scotland Railway in 1905. A residence for the Customs and Excise Officer as well as cottages for distillery employees were constructed close by. The Tamdhu distillery is located closer to the defunct Dalbeallie Station than it is to the current location of the distillery. The Speyside Way long-distance walk currently includes the dismantled railway that was long since removed from service. Since the distillery holds meetings in the buildings, the former station has been renamed Tamdhu station. The original line's Tamdhu station was never given that name. A renowned collection of barrels from the Knockando Distillery were used to create the J & B Ultima blend in 1994 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Scotch whiskey. One barrel from each of the 128 distinct whiskies (116 malt and 12 grain) used in this blend is still aging in the warehouse.