In the world of fine spirits, few names evoke the same sense of reverence and anticipation as Prima & Ultima. This esteemed anthology of rare and collectible vintage Single Malt Scotch Whiskies has returned for its fourth release, offering enthusiasts and collectors a unique opportunity to delve into the rich tapestry of Scotland's whisky heritage. In this article, we'll take an in-depth look at what makes the Prima & Ultima Fourth Release so exceptional and why it's a must-have for any serious whisky connoisseur.
Overview of The Prima & Ultima Range
The Prima & Ultima range is a collection of rare and valuable single malt Scotch whiskies from some of the finest distilleries in Scotland. The range is hand-curated by Diageo, and it includes some of the oldest and rarest whiskies from Scotland's finest distilleries. Here are some key features of the Prima & Ultima range:
- The range includes the first and last bottlings of exquisite single malts, making it a unique and valuable addition to any whisky collection.
- The range is highly sought after due to its rarity, with only a limited number of bottles released each year.
- The whiskies in the range are bottled at cask strength with no chill filtration, allowing the full flavor and character of the whisky to shine through.
- The range includes whiskies from renowned distilleries such as Lagavulin, Talisker, Royal Lochnagar, and Singleton.
- The range is a luxury item, with a high price tag that reflects the rarity and value of the whiskies.
Overall, the Prima & Ultima range is a testament to the art of whisky-making and a celebration of Scotland's rich heritage. Each whisky in the range tells a unique story of heritage and craftsmanship, making it a must-have for whisky enthusiasts and collectors.
The Curator: Dr. Emma Walker
One of the defining characteristics of Prima & Ultima releases is the expertise and passion of the master blenders who curate them. For this fourth release, the mantle of curator has been passed to none other than Dr. Emma Walker. Dr. Walker, celebrated as a true master of malt, has a luminous career at the forefront of Diageo's finest work in whisky. Her decades of experience shine through in the vivid and personal selection of Single Malt Scotch Whisky that makes up this release.
Dr. Walker follows in the footsteps of esteemed predecessors, including Dr. Craig Wilson, Maureen Robinson, and Dr. Jim Beveridge OBE, each with over a century of collective experience in the industry. Her unique perspective adds a fresh and exciting dimension to the Prima & Ultima legacy.
Firsts and Lasts: A Liquid Legacy
The Prima & Ultima Fourth Release is not just a collection of whiskies; it's a journey through history. Each bottle tells a compelling story of a first and a last of its kind. This includes pioneering experiments and the dwindling remains from long-lost ghost distilleries, adding an air of mystique and nostalgia to each sip.
Among the remarkable offerings in this collection is the oldest whisky ever bottled from Talisker Distillery – a Talisker 46-Year-Old. This release also includes an experimental Single Malt from Clynelish and a Lagavulin from 1997, considered a golden year for the Islay distillery.
Oban Distillery makes its debut in this collection with its very last casks from 1996. These were chosen for their unique coastal character, which is uncharacteristic of the distillery and adds a fresh perspective to this release.
For those with an affinity for ghost distilleries, the Prima & Ultima Fourth Release is a treasure trove. It features the last-ever 1977 American oak hogsheads from Brora Distillery and the final 1978 American oak hogsheads from Port Ellen, carefully curated from these reawakened distilleries that have long been silent.
The Prima & Ultima Fourth Release is a hand-curated collection from some of the finest distilleries in Scotland. The collection includes eight magnificent, incredibly rare single vintage malts, featuring the first and last bottlings of exquisite single malts. The fourth release of the collection includes some of the oldest and rarest whiskies ever released. Here is a description of each whisky in the Prima & Ultima Fourth Release:
- Talisker 1984 (37 years old): The oldest ever Single Malt from Talisker, this whisky is a rare and valuable addition to the collection. It has a rich and complex flavor profile, with notes of smoke, salt, and pepper.
- Lagavulin 1993 (28 years old): This whisky is a cask-strength bottling from one of Scotland's most famous distilleries. It has a deep, smoky flavor with hints of peat and oak.
- Royal Lochnagar 1981 (41 years old): This whisky is a rare and valuable addition to the collection, with a rich and complex flavor profile. It has notes of honey, vanilla, and oak, with a long, smooth finish.
- Singleton of Glen Ord 1987 (35 years old): This whisky is a cask-strength bottling from one of Scotland's most famous distilleries. It has a rich, fruity flavor with notes of apple, pear, and honey.
- Caol Ila 1984 (39 years old): This whisky is a rare and valuable addition to the collection, with a rich and complex flavor profile. It has notes of smoke, peat, and seaweed, with a long, smooth finish.
- Mortlach 1991 (31 years old): This whisky is a cask-strength bottling from one of Scotland's most famous distilleries. It has a rich, fruity flavor with notes of plum, raisin, and spice.
- Cragganmore 1988 (35 years old): This whisky is a rare and valuable addition to the collection, with a rich and complex flavor profile. It has notes of honey, vanilla, and oak, with a long, smooth finish.
- Clynelish 1995 (27 years old): This whisky is a cask-strength bottling from one of Scotland's most famous distilleries. It has a rich, fruity flavor with notes of apple, pear, and honey.
Rare & Collectible: Limited Availability
As with previous Prima & Ultima releases, exclusivity is a hallmark of the Fourth Release. Only 413 full sets of this collection are available globally for purchase, and these can be acquired through appointed Prima & Ultima agents. For those who prefer to pick and choose, individual bottlings from this release are also available.
Whisky collectors and enthusiasts from around the world can register their interest in acquiring these exceptional bottles. Act quickly, for the opportunity to own a piece of Scotch whisky history is a rare and fleeting one.
In conclusion, the Prima & Ultima Fourth Release is not just a whisky collection; it's a testament to the dedication, expertise, and passion of those who craft and curate these remarkable spirits. Dr. Emma Walker's influence adds a contemporary touch to a legacy of excellence, making this release a must-have for anyone who appreciates the artistry and history of Single Malt Scotch Whisky. Don't miss your chance to be part of this rare and collectible journey through the world of fine spirits.
About Dr. Emma Walker
Dr. Emma Walker is a Master Blender and lead technical specialist at Johnnie Walker, a Scotch whisky brand owned by Diageo. She is the first female Master Blender in Johnnie Walker's history since it was founded in 1820. Here's what you need to know about Dr. Emma Walker:
Breaking Barriers in the Whisky Industry
Dr. Walker is breaking barriers as a woman in a male-dominated industry. She is a role model for women who aspire to work in the whisky industry. In an interview with Whisky Magazine, Dr. Walker said, "I think it's really important that women see that there are opportunities for them in the whisky industry, and that they can be successful in those roles."
Education and Career
Dr. Walker studied chemistry at the University of Edinburgh and earned her PhD from Sheffield University. She joined Diageo in 2008 and has worked in various roles, including as a distillery manager and technical manager. She was appointed as Johnnie Walker's Master Blender in 2021, succeeding Dr. Jim Beveridge OBE, who retired after 20 years as Master Blender within the brand and more than 40 years overall at Diageo.
Responsibilities as Master Blender
As Master Blender, Dr. Walker is responsible for ensuring the quality and consistency of Johnnie Walker's whiskies. She works with a team of blenders and sensory experts to create new blends and maintain the quality of existing ones. In an interview with Forbes, Dr. Walker said, "My job is to make sure that every bottle of Johnnie Walker that goes out is of the highest quality and meets the expectations of our consumers."
Outside of her work at Johnnie Walker, Dr. Walker is a private person and keeps her personal life out of the public eye. She is not related to the family that founded the Johnnie Walker brand.
Dr. Emma Walker is a trailblazer in the whisky industry, breaking barriers as Johnnie Walker's first female Master Blender. Her expertise and dedication to quality have made her an invaluable member of the Johnnie Walker team. As a role model for women in the industry, Dr. Walker is inspiring a new generation of whisky makers and enthusiasts.
Diageo is a global leader in the beverage alcohol industry, with an outstanding collection of brands across spirits and beer. The company's ambition is to be one of the best performing, most trusted, and respected consumer products companies in the world
Diageo manages nine of the world's top 20 premium spirits brands, including Johnnie Walker, Smirnoff, and Baileys
Diageo was formed in 1997 from the merger of Guinness plc and Grand Metropolitan. Its creation was driven by the executives Anthony Greener and Philip Yea at Guinness, along with George Bull and John McGrath of Grand Metropolitan. Shares in Diageo began trading on the London Stock Exchange on 17 December 1997
Diageo operates in 180 countries across five regions: Europe, North America, Latin America, the Caribbean, Asia Pacific, and Africa. The company's Performance Ambition is to be one of the best performing, most trusted, and respected consumer products companies in the world
Diageo partners with Distill Ventures, an accelerator program that offers alcohol entrepreneurs a route to cash investment, mentoring, and access to expertise and funding. In 2016, Diageo was ranked 11th out of 4,255 companies worldwide for diversity
Overall, Diageo is a global leader in the beverage alcohol industry, with a rich history and outstanding collection of brands. The company is committed to being a trusted and respected consumer products company, and it partners with entrepreneurs to drive innovation and growth in the industry.
[Image Credit: Diageo - https://www.diageorareandexceptional.com/]